The work of SCRC is completely aligned with the Cyprus Smart Specialization Strategy (S3CY) and the national needs, as is evident by the government’s objectives for an increase in digital economy, government, education and social innovation. Building on its multidisciplinary strength SCRC provides opportunities for addressing, through the use of Social Science and ICT research, key societal challenges in various areas of key importance to Cyprus and EU. The Centre aims primarily at:
- Producing high quality research focusing on the intersection of Computing and Social Sciences that improves Cyprus’ research and scientific profile and its chance to seek international funding in the international fora.
- Engaging in a strategic growth path by establishing close links between researchers, scientists, entrepreneurs and educators for addressing real-life problems aligned with S3CY and the national needs and establishing a social innovation culture in Cyprus in these areas.
- Raising the SCRC staff’s research, education and innovation profile/capacity as well as the profile of all institutions involved taking into account the indicators such as research intensity, innovation performance, values and attitudes towards research and innovation.
- Giving access to new research avenues, increased creativity and development of new approaches, as well as a source for increased mobility (inwards and outwards) of qualified scientists from all institutions involved.
- SCRC will enable Social Computing to be studied in a holistic way involving researchers from the areas of computing/engineering, human-computer interaction, visual computing, communications and social sciences.
We envisage that SCRC will become a hub for high impact multidisciplinary research that influences research, education and innovation strategy, policy and practice in the area of Social Computing.